Friday, January 16, 2009

Panko Crusted Chicken Parmesan

A couple weeks ago, one of the blogs I read, Erica's Kitchen Adventures posted a recipe for Chicken Parm. We love chicken parm, so that obviously got my taste buds craving it. This is a high fat food, so I don't like to make it very often, but it had been so long, I decided we could splurge a bit!

Panko Crusted Chicken Parm
inspired by Erica's Kitchen Adventures


Ingredients (I apologize that some of the measurements are approximate, but I sort of just eyeballed everything)

8 chicken tenderloins
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
about 2 cups of panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
marinara sauce (check out #3 under modifications of this link for the sauce recipe)
4 slices mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions

Mix milk and egg in a small bowl, and breadcrumbs, shredded cheeses in a slightly larger bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture and then in the bread crumbs.

Fry each chicken strip for two minutes, then flip and fry on the other side for an additional two minutes. Once all the chicken is fried, place on paper towel to soak up excess grease.




Coat the bottom of a 9x11 baking pan with some sauce so the chicken doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken in the pan and top with sauce. Cut each slice of mozzarella in half and place on top of each tenderloin.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 11 minutes, or until cheese is melted as desired.



Review
After making chicken parm for the last couple years, I might venture to say this is my best attempt yet. I think what really made this taste different was the panko bread crumbs. Don't know what panko bread crumbs are? Well, I didn't either until I looked it up on Wikipedia. I served the chicken parm with corn and chicken flavored rice-a-roni (reduced salt).


Look! Proof my husband helps with the cooking! He's making the rice.


One more thing before I go - I'll be submitting this to Joelen's Foodie Films roundup. Click here for details on how to submit your Italian dish, and make sure you check out Joelen's blog, Joelen's Culinary Adventures!

Chicken Parmigiana on Foodista

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, how fun it is that your husband helping in the kitchen. Your dish look so delish.
    Cheers,
    Elra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great dish! I'm looking forward to including it in the upcoming round up so thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love panko! This looks like it was great. Yay for husbands helping in the kitchen, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,
    I liked your recipe and pics- had my mouth watering. I've been looking at your blog and you have a flair for cooking and some good recipes.
    I thought you might be interested in sharing your recipes and cooking tips with us at Foodista - the cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia that everyone can edit.
    We also have small embeddable widgets that can help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here. I look forward to seeing more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete