Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pasta Tossed with Broccoli and Diced Tomatoes

Today is the first time I've cooked during the week after work in a loooooong time. It's been tax season for the last few months, and now it is finally over! YAY!

So naturally, being a little out of practice, I didn't take anything out to make. I didn't even think about what could be prepared before my commute home. This meant it was time for a pantry meal. My usual go to ingredients for a 'make it quick' meal are pasta and tomato sauce. I can whip up a decent sauce in a few minutes as long as I have an onion and green pepper in the fridge. Unfortunately, there was no onion.....or pepper. Needless to say, I had to figure out something else.

Staring in my pantry, it finally came to me.

Pasta Tossed with Broccoli and Diced Tomatoes
Kitchen Canister original


Ingredients

1 can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 lb pasta - I used Rienzi brand, Cantanisella Lunga
1 leaf fresh basil, torn into small pieces
1 broccoli crown, cut into bite sized pieces

Directions

Boil pasta according to directions on box. While the pasta water is boiling, heat the oil in a large skillet. Place the broccoli pieces in a steamer basket that will fit over the pasta pot. Once heated, saute the garlic for two minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil to the mixture and turn it up to medium heat, stirring constantly so the tomatoes reduce.

When there is 4 minutes left on the pasta, set the steamer basket over the hot water so the broccoli cooks. Once the pasta is finished, add the broccoli into the tomato mixture, and drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the skillet and stir to combine. Once heated through, serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't pasta the best for a quick dinner? I sure bet you're glad that tax season is over with:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cantanisella Lunga! Boy do those noodles look fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete