Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Vegetable Barley Soup

If you're like me, you constantly find yourself rummaging the pantry for something to take to work for lunch. I've had so many turkey sandwiches since January 1, that I think I'm about to turn into one. This week, I vowed that this would not happen, so I took a stroll through my google reader for soups that look both delicious and healthy. Lucky me, I came across this beef barley soup on Jersey Girl Cooks. It was really simple to make, and since we're observing Lent, easy to make meatless for Friday.

Beef Barley Vegetable Soup
courtesy Jersey Girl Cooks


Ingredients
1 TBS olive oil
1 lb top round beef cubes

10 cups beef vegetable broth or stock
8 ounce can tomato sauce
12 oz package of frozen1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
10 12 oz package frozen peas
10 12 oz package frozen green beans
1 1/2 cups barley
1 TBS onion powder
1 TBS garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste



Directions
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium and brown meat. Add broth, tomato sauce, and simmer for 1 hour. Add carrots, peas, green beans, barley, onion powder and garlic powder. Cook for 45 minutes or until barley is tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great alternative to a turkey sandiwch :-)...Your barley soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I still have some frozen in my freezer from the last time I made it. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete