Friday, February 5, 2010

Turkey Chili

In prep for the big game this weekend, here's a great tasting chili recipe made with turkey. The recipe I'm posting below calls for either Wegmans brand or name brand items specifically, but I think it would taste the same if you used other products.

**BLOGGER DISCLOSURE** I didn't get anything for free from Wegmans however I did get a coupon in the mail for $2 off the ground turkey and $1 off the chicken stock used in this recipe. It should be noted that this coupon was delivered to everyone in the area, so no special treatment here!***

Turkey Chili
courtesy Menu Magazine


Ingredients



2 Tbsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
2 lbs Food You Feel Good About 94% Lean Ground Turkey
12 6 cloves Food You Feel Good About Peeled Garlic, minced
2 (about 1 lb) red peppers, 1/4-inch dice
2 pkgs (8 oz each) Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Diced Green Peppers 2 green peppers, diced
2 pkgs (8 oz each) Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Chopped Onions
2 Tbsp McCormick Gourmet Collection Mexican-Style Chili Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Wegmans Soy Sauce
6 Food You Feel Good About Fresh Bay Leaves (or 2 dried)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans (14.5 oz each) Wegmans Diced Tomatoes
1 carton (32 oz) Food You Feel Good About Chicken Culinary Stock
2 cans (15.5 oz each) Food You Feel Good About Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

Heat oil in large stockpot on MEDIUM-HIGH until oil faintly smokes. Add ground turkey. Crumble and sear until lightly browned, about 5 min.



Add garlic, peppers, and onions to browned ground turkey. Stir in chili powder, salt, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, bay leaves, cloves, and cumin.



Add tomatoes and stock. Bring to simmer; add beans. Continue to simmer, uncovered, on MEDIUM-LOW about 45 min, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Ladle chili into warmed bowls; serve.



Chef's Notes

I've never had chili with cloves in it and I think the next time I make it, I won't add them. After I ate the chili, all I could taste all day was cloves, which isn't exactly pleasant. I also added my secret ingredient to the chili:



unsweetened dark chocolate. I think it adds more texture and depth to the broth.The chili was also not very spicy. Next time I might add a jalapeno, or additional chili powder to kick it up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment