Saturday, October 25, 2008

Turkey and Pasta with Peanut Sauce

Over the past weekend, I went through my newlywed cookbook and marked off all the recipes that sounded good. For dinner on Wednesday, we decided to try one. 




Ingredients:
6 ounces dried fettuccine or linguine
2 cups fresh pea pods or a 6 ounce package of frozen
1 cup cooked turkey or chicken strips (i used chicken)
1 cup coarsely chopped pineapple
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (i used lime)
1/4 teaspoon crushed pepper
1 clove garlic


Directions:
Cook pasta according to directions on package.  Meanwhile, halve the fresh pea pods diagonally.  Place pea pods and turkey in large colander.  Pour hot cooking liquid from pasta over pea pods and turkey in colander; drain well.  Return the mixture to the hot pan and add pineapple.
For sauce, in a small saucepan stir chicken broth into peanut butter.  Heat and stir with a whisk until peanut butter melts.  Stir in soy sauce, lime juice, red pepper, and garlic. Heat through.
Add sauce to pasta mixture. Gently stir to coat pasta with sauce.


Servings: 4


Modifications: 
1. I didn't have any fresh garlic on hand, so I used garlic powder.
2. I generally don't like the taste of store bought pre-cooked chicken, so I cooked it myself.
3. I did a half teaspoon of the crushed red because I like things a little spicier. 


Review:
I liked this recipe a lot, but it took much longer to prepare than 30 minutes. I think I can attribute that to the fact that I cooked the chicken myself, and I put too much water in the pasta pot so it took forever to bring to a boil. I think it would taste great with some macadamia nuts, so the next time I make it, I will definitely give that a try. The only downside is that the sauce does not really reheat that well, so when we had it for leftovers it wasn't as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment