Monday, September 1, 2008

What ELSE can you use this for?

About a year ago, I found this excellent recipe for black bean hummus online. Unfortunately, I can only find tahini in a large tub and the recipe only calls for 1/4 cup. So, what's a girl to do with the extra tahini? Well, I usually end up throwing it away. This time, I decided to scour the web for some non-hummus recipes. Food Network turned up the following:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chicken Shawarma

There was also a recipe for Sczechuan Noodles, but it was only available for a limited time, so I didn't bother putting up a link. Other uses I also found: a substitute for peanut butter in a PB&J sandwich, salad dressings, and even as a subtitute for sour cream in dip.

Here's the recipe for the black bean hummus:

16 oz can of black beans, drained

1 tbsp garlic, minced (if i am out, i use garlic powder)

1/4 tbsp lime juice (I usually end up using more than 1/4 tbsp to get the consistency that I like, but this is purely one person's preference over another's)

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 cup tahini

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp cumin

Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Serve with pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment