Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Are you Ready for Some Football?

Now that football season is upon us, it's time to make all of those great game time meals like wings, chicken fingers, dips, and of course, what would Sunday be without Chili?

Here is a recipe for the chili I make that I got from Men's Health Magazine. Last year, I brought it to a Superbowl party and it was a major hit. The recipe is Abs Diet friendly, too! 

Game Day Chili

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 15 oz. cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 8 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
2 10.75 oz cans of chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 oz dark chocolate

Cooking Directions
Brown the beef in a non-stick skillet over med-high heat.  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving some of the fat in the skillet. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook saute until soft (6 min).  In a large stockpot, combine all of the ingredients.  Simmer on low hear for 1 hour. 

Number of Servings: 6

My take: When I make this chili, I omit the salt because I think there is enough natural salt in the dish to balance it perfectly.  I also use 93% lean beef to make the recipe a little healthier than the normal 85% lean. For the chocolate, I use Hershey's baking squares, unsweetened. And last but not least, I use the light version of the chicken broth. This past weekend, I cooked the recipe following the above directions exactly and my fiance and I both liked it better when I incorporated the above changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment