Sunday, November 29, 2009

Product Review - Steamfresh Meals for Two

On Friday we had a frozen dinner. This was unlike the frozen dinners you ate as a kid, parked in front of the tv. Remember those? The plastic tray, with your main meal, a veggie on the side, and some sort of dessert that could also be heated in the microwave. The dinner we had was nothing of the sort.



I saw this in the grocery store and since it was on sale, I decided to give it a try. Sometimes we come home too late from work to cook a meal from scratch, so I thought this would be the perfect emergency meal when we didn't have any leftovers to eat.

It works just like all the other steamfresh products work. If you're not familiar here, are the instructions: Remove bag from freezer. Place in microwave with the bottom up (side without the picture). Heat for 10 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes. Pour into bowl, mix and enjoy! **Note - heating times vary for each product - please read instructions before heating**

Very simple.

The description on the bag is as follows: Tender strips of grilled chicken breasts, asparagus, yellow peppers and tomatoes, tossed with rigatoni pasta in a roasted garlic sauce.

So Friday came and instead of pizza, we opted for this frozen meal. Unlike other frozen dinners, this chicken actually tasted like real chicken. It wasn't spongy, and there wasn't alot of fatty pieces like I'm used to getting in some other meals. The sauce was good, but in my opinion, there was way too much of it. When I emptied the contents into the mixing bowl, not all of the sauce came out. Instead of coaxing the rest into the bowl, I just threw it out. It was about 1/4 cup worth of sauce. The sauce that made it into the bowl was more than enough to coat the chicken and veggies.

The meal was delicious, and pretty satisfying. I spent about $5.00 for this meal and 1/2 the bag is only 340 calories. So this not only saved us from buying a $14 pizza, but also saved us some calories! Seems like a win-win to me.

Click here for a rundown of the other steamfresh meals available.

***Disclaimer: I was not paid to review this product, nor was I provided any free samples. The review above is based solely on my impression of the product, and I was not influenced in any way by Birds Eye Food Inc.***

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the steam fresh brown rice-It's fast and easy for a weeknight.
    Good product review.

    ReplyDelete