Monday, January 19, 2009

Waffles with Blueberry and Peanut Butter

Every so often I like to switch my weekday breakfast up. It gets really boring to have cereal over and over, every morning. My options are slightly limited because oatmeal sort of grosses me out.

A couple years ago, I bought the The Abs Diet and its companion recipe book. I lost about 15 pounds using the recipes and doing the exercises. The diet (I hate to call it that, because it's really a lifestyle change) is based around the idea of Powerfoods. There are twelve of them, and they are:

Almonds and Other Nuts
Beans and other Legumes
Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
Dairy Products
Instant Oatmeal
Eggs
Turkey and Other Lean Meats
Peanut butter (the all natural kind)
Olive Oil
Whole Grain Breads and Cereals
Extra Protein (Whey) powder
Raspberries and Other Berries
12

I still keep up the basic principles of the diet, but am not so strict with it.

Most importantly, the book helped me to understand the difference between foods that are healthy and foods that aren't. One example of this is partially hydrogenated oil. This is not very good for you, and most foods contain it. I try to stay away from this as much as possible, but it's very hard since it shows up EVERYWHERE!

Anyway, now that I got a little off subject, I'll steer back to the point of this post. There are lots of healthy options for breakfast in the book,(click here for some of them) and this morning I whipped one up.

Jam Session
taken from the Abs Diet Recipe Book


Powerfood count: 3

Ingredients:

1 whole-wheat toaster waffle
2 Tbsp peanut butter (I used Skippy Naturals, super chunk)
1/4 c slightly crushed blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries

Directions

Prepare the waffle according to the package directions. Spread the peanut butter on the waffle, cup the waffle in your hand, add the berries, then squeeze lightly. Think of it as a blueberry breakfast taco.

Servings: 1

Review
I love this recipe because it's pretty fast. If you are running late, you can take it in the car with you, or you can even make it at work since there are so few ingredients. I've tried this with both raspberries and blueberries, and I like the blueberries best. I think it's because they aren't as tart as the raspberries. Also, instead of cupping the waffle, I just cut it in half. When I tried to cup it, it just broke anyway, so cutting it works out best.

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting combo! I might have to try this, especially when berries are in season.

    ReplyDelete