Monday, January 12, 2009

Honey and Vanilla Glazed Carrots

One of the things I need to work on is putting together a whole meal, as opposed to just cooking a main course. Last week, I made Tyler Florence's Pork Chops and thought this would be a perfect time to start pairing up side dishes. I thought the carrots would go great with the apples and raisins already present in the pork chop recipe.

Honey and Vanilla Glazed Carrots
FAVORITE BRAND NAME Incredibly Easy Weeknight Meals


Ingredients

1/4 cup butter or margarine smart balance omega
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 pounds baby carrots, cooked until crisp-tender
1 1/2 teaspoons WATKINS Vanilla Extract
Pinch WATKINS ginger
Salt and WATKINS black pepper to taste

*recipe note - the recipe mentions brand names, but I used the items I already had on hand

Directions

Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add honey and stir until blended. Add carrots, vanilla and ginger. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until carrots are well glazed. Season with salt and pepper.

Servings: makes 5 cups, 10 servings



Review

I didn't have very high hopes for these, to be honest. I got this cookbook for Christmas, and as I was looking through it, I really thought it was just a clever advertising technique. They ended up coming out really good. The glaze on the carrots complimented the pork perfectly.

3 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for new ways to prepare baby carrots - you can only steam them so many times! This looks wonderful and the idea of adding vanilla and ginger sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrots is one of those veggies that a bit challenging to cook alone, that's why most likely I eat them raw (I can eat lots of them too), but they are at least taste really good if cook in stew and one of my favorite is the Moroccon glaze carrots with preserve lemon, cinnamon, and parsley. Taste so good.
    Your recipe sound delish too.
    Cheers,
    Elra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it turned out well for you!

    ReplyDelete