Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cappuccino Squares

As mentioned in a previous post, I made these squares for a New Year's Eve party we attended. Everyone loved them. The butter wasn't melting into the cakes when I was mixing it, so I was a little worried that they weren't going to turn out well. While it was in the oven, it melted in nicely, so they turned out okay.

Cappuccino Squares
adapted from Perfect Chocolate, a collection of over 100 essential recipes


Ingredients:
8 oz butter, softened
generous 1 1/2 cups of self rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa, plus extra for dusting
generous 1 cup golden superfine sugar (I just used regular sugar)
4 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water (I used regular coffee because I didn't have any instant on hand)

White Chocolate Frosting
4 oz white chocolate, broken into pieces
2 oz butter, softened
3 tbsp milk
1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions



Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a bowl and add the butter, sugar, eggs and coffee. Beat well, by hand or with an electric whisk, until smooth, then spoon into a greased and base lined shallow 11 x 7 inch pan and smooth the top.



Bake in a preheated oven, 350 degrees F, for 35-40 minutes, or until risen and firm, then turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the lining paper. Let cool completely.



To make the frosting, place the chocolate, butter and milk in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted.

Remove the bowl from the pan and sift in the confectioners' sugar. Beat until smooth, then spread over the cake. Dust the top of the cake with sifted cocoa, then cut into squares. (NOTE: I cut the cake into squares before icing it. I thought it would be less messy that way)

Servings: about 15 squares



Review:
These went over really well. The cake was very moist and the icing was a perfect compliment. I was skeptic as to whether they would actually taste like cappuccino, but they sort of did.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds so good Melissa! I can have this for breakfast, maybe without the frosting. And have it with the frosting for dessert.
    Cheers,
    Elara

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good. I would imagine you could strengthen the coffee taste with another tsp of coffee, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coffee flavored desserts - I'm sure I'll love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kristina - you could probably do that, but the coffee taste was pretty heavy already - if you're using Sanka or some other instant coffee, i might suggest upping the ante a little

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coffee everything! These look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice! I love how you served them in little muffin cups too. That probably made it perfect for eating and talking at the party.

    ReplyDelete