Thursday, December 11, 2008

Apple Pancakes

If you keep up with my blog, you'll remember that last week I made blueberry pine nut pancakes. Well, since they turned out so nicely, I'll admit, I've become a bit obsessed with my new pancake recipe from smitten kitchen. I think every Saturday will be pancake Saturday, showcased by a variation of the original pancake recipe.

This past weekend, I decided to go with the actual recipe that was posted on smitten kitchen. We had some apples left over from the week that hadn't been eaten. Since Sunday is also grocery shopping day in our household, I took an "everything must go" attitude and started right away on this recipe.

Apple Pancakes
adapted from
Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients



2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated (I used Fuji Apples and put them in my food processor so the pieces would be small and mix into the batter better)
2 teaspoons cinnamon or to taste (not in original recipe)
2 teaspoon vanilla (also not in original recipe)
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting (I didn't dust them, since we used syrup)

Directions

Mix the eggs with the milk or yogurt in a large bowl.



In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.

Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples and whatever other flavorings you see fit.



Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over low to medium heat.(Note: I don't like to use oil on my pancakes, so I just use a non-stick skillet to cook them) Drop a large spoonful of batter into the pan and flatten it out a little (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath.



Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.



Either dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately, or keep on a tray in a warmed oven until you are ready to serve them.



Review

Who doesn't love pancakes? And these pancakes just happen to be SO tasty. Since it's only me and H on weekend mornings, I halfed the recipe and we got about 10 pancakes out of it. Enough for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday! woohoo! I also served some turkey bacon and H made us some cappuccinos.

1 comment:

  1. oddly, I haven't had breakfast yet (slept in today on my day off) and now I'm craving pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete