Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lessons Learned


I've come to realize that in trying new things also come a couple lessons. The one I learned tonight while making these brownies almost turned on the sprinklers in our apartment!!
I prepared the whole recipe and thought to myself, "wow, this baking-from-scratch isn't really so hard". When the batter was ready, I poured it in the pan and popped it in the oven. A minutes or so later I smelled this weird burning (not like batter burning, like plastic). I open up the oven and smoke comes billowing out. I did not have parchment paper, so I used waxed paper instead. Hence, the lesson for tonight - waxed paper burns in the oven
Now I had to act quick and transfer the brownie batter to a pan that I could finish the brownies in. With the help of Mr. Tomato, we successfully transferred the batter without losing any. All was not lost! Now, without further adue - the brownie recipe. 


Amaretto Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts
adapted from Tyler's Ultimate, episode Ultimate Rainy Day

Ingredients:

2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for pan
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
pinch of salt
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons amaretto
1 1/2 c walnuts
powdered sugar for garnishing


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper, making sure paper hangs over the edges. Grease the paper with butter so the brownies don't stick. Melt butter and chocolate over a double boiler and stir gently until smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl and set aside. Whisk together eggs, sugar and amaretto in a mixing bowl until combined.  Pour in chocolate mixture and continue to whisk until combined.  Gradually add flour mixture, then add walnuts and combine with a wooden spoon. Transfer batter to baking pan and bake for 40-45 min or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the pan. When done, invert onto a cutting board and remove paper. Cut into squares, garnish with powdered sugar and serve.

Servings: Makes 12 brownies

Modifications

1. I used smart balance instead of butter.
2. I don't own a double boiler so I melted the chocolate/butter in the microwave.
3. I couldn't find bittersweet chips at the store, so I used baking squares
4. after the waxed paper debacle, i just greased a pan with cooking spray and hoped for the best.
5. i don't really like walnuts, so I used almonds instead.
6. the first pan i used was a 9x11 and the second pan i used was 6x6, so i ended up with very thick brownies.
7. I cut the A/P flour in half and also used whole wheat flour.
8. I only used 1 1/4 c. almonds and it was still a lot!


Review:
 
So far, I seem to be 2 for 2 with these new recipes I am trying. Mr. Tomato loved the brownies but wished I went for the walnuts instead of the almonds. As far as the almonds, I thought they tasted great, but would definitely put less in next time - maybe just 1 cup. The brownies themselves came out almost perfect. They were a tiny bit burned on the edges (which I learned today was because I used a dark pan), but were just the right consistency when you bite into them - soft and gooey. I will definitely be trying this recipe out again. 

1 comment:

  1. don't we all have too many of those stories! The brownies look great.

    ReplyDelete